Instructor: Ed Quigley
- Deadline for resubmitting midterms: 12/01/99
- last week's tour
- final exam
- group projects: timeline-- work should be complete, beginning to struggle with communicating the work
- references: Edward J. Quigley, PO Box 12429, Pgh PA 15231. firstname.lastname@example.org
Chapter 17: Controls and Security Measures
What, Me Worry?
- there are Bad People in an Evil World
- there are Hackers with a funny sense of humor
- the business demands IT security
As we move businesses into computer systems, the liability and risk grows. When we move into the Internet and intranets the risk escalates. When we make out systems customer accessible, the risk explodes. The business people expect that the tech people will take care of these things.
- natural disasters
- loss of electricity
- Applications and Data
- access codes, passwords
- read / write authority
- robust programming
- programming limits
- Audit Trail: Hey, Somebody Already Invented a Wheel!
- Atomic Transactions: It won't happen unless it all happens
- Security Standards
- Separation of Duties
- business recovery plan
- business continuity
For Next Week
Continue on your project. Roughly, your work should be mostly done, and you should begin struggling with how you will communicate your work.