Instructor: Ed Quigley
Three emphasis points (p. xix): Strategic Thinking, Ethical Thinking, Critical Thinking
- Updated Class Schedule
- Open student sheets
- Check roster
- Collect Assignment 1.
Opportunity: Solution, pg.3. Why is this a 3rd wave business?
Exercise: Marketing wants to know: How many credits has the avg student completed?
Info Systems exist to answer questions that are prompted by problems
Secrets and Private Info
The Von Nuemann machine:
infoid: The Von Nuemann block
Shared Data Resources
Group Assignment on Chapter One:
Read the sidebar on Page 9, The Computer-Aided Manager.
Working in your small group, answer the following questions:
1. Do you think ISs will eventually replace managers completely?
2. Why or Why Not?
3. If you chose Yes, what are the pre-requisites to the change?
4. If you chose No, what are the insoluble barriers to the change?
Your small group will present your response to the class.
Before the presentation begins, hand the instructor a sheet
of paper with the names of all group participants.
- Opportunity>Solution: Another 3rd Wave application
- Strategic: Warfare, External, World-Changing
- Figure 2.1: eight ways to gain competitive advantage
- Opinion: 4,5,6 are ethical and sustainable
Strategic Info as a Competitive Weapon
Diversion into Communication
Communication moves... Information
- Ethos (what ethic does my communication invoke?)
- Pathos (what feelings does my communication evoke?)
- Logos (what logic does my communication rely upon?)
For next week, 9/16/99
- Read Chapters 3 and 4
- take notes and identify any difficult materials
- Assignment Two: Read Case Study, Targeting the Customer, pg 51-52.
Answer Questions 1-4 on pg. 52